Truly Blessed

Monday, December 1, 2008

Happy Birthday To Us

Thirty years ago today, on my Grandfather's 52nd birthday, his first grandchild was born in the middle of a blizzard. That grandchild was me! So, yes folks, that means I turn thirty today. THIRTY! Where does time go, really? Jeff and I were at a restaurant two weeks ago and the wait staff sang "Happy Birthday" to a kid at a table next to me turning 15. I said to Jeff, "He's half my age"! Don't I sound old just saying that? When I was little I imagined my 18th birthday, and my 21st, and I imagined in my twenties I'd get married and have some kids. But I never imagined my thirtieth birthday. My imagination just couldn't stretch that far! But now that I've officially arrived there, the reality is that thirty is wonderful! I learned a lot of life lessons in my twenties and wouldn't want to go back a decade to do it all over. It feels good where I am - with a wonderful husband for 7 years, and four beautiful children (two in heaven and two at home). Everyone is healthy and happy. I am truly blessed.

It's always been special sharing a birthday with my grandfather. While in Chicago this past weekend we all celebrated together and my parents made my favorite birthday cake, which we figured out has been a tradition for the past twelve years. Nathaniel sang all the words to "Happy Birthday" and helped blow out the candles. Mary giggled for twenty minutes at the balloon bobbing up and down in the air (guess which two year old was holding the string!). Life is good!

My Grandpa turns 82 today, and as soon as I finish this post I'm going to call him and say, "Happy Birthday to us"!

3 comments:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

Happy birthday! Welcome to your thirties!

Véro L said...

Happy Birthday! What a great feel good post! :)

The Gabel Family said...

Happy Belated Birthday! The best thing about your thirties is that you really know who you are and have fun embracing it!