Wednesday, November 5, 2008
55 Million People
Fifty-five million people woke up this morning disappointed. My guy won the two elections I've been old enough to vote in, so it's a new feeling for me. I watched both McCain's concession speech and Obama's victory speech last night and felt incredibly jealous. Jealous that I wasn't among the millions of people rejoicing last night. Anyone who has talked to me about this election knows I've held hope the entire time that McCain would win. After all, the past two elections the mainstream media has predicted a Democrat win, and yet the Republicans pulled it off both times. Part of me just didn't want to admit that our country has become as liberal as it has. I guess I shouldn't be so surprised that I find myself in the minority once again. As a Catholic it seems we take a beating more times than not. I'm well aware the beliefs my faith holds are very rarely the popular ones. I have to say I was a bit alarmed yesterday at how exuberant the crowd was in Grant Park. Jeff and I joked that the camera kept going back to the same two elderly people in the crowd - as if they were the only ones of that demographic that CNN could find. So many young people, weeping and hugging and rejoicing! I am proud that so many people of my generation love their country, want the best for it, and are willing to fight for it. And I am glad so many citizens want to grasp onto something bigger than themselves and believe in it. But I am deeply worried that their hope is misplaced. I am convinced this hope is more appropriately placed in God. Much of what President-elect Obama believes in is contrary to the teachings Christians believe come from God. And even if you set aside all the moral and religious issues and focus on the "secular" ones, such as the economic, foreign, and healthcare policies Obama has been touting, I am still worried for our country and how we can remain true to the foundations it was built on. I am concerned we are going to go in a completely new direction that is unfaithful to what America has always been about - freedom. Freedom to work hard and keep what you earn. Freedom to live without excessive tax and burden from the government. Freedom to practice your beliefs without the government infringing on them. Freedom to give money charitably the way you want to give it. Don't get me wrong, I understand certain things need reform and change, but I don't think an entire overhaul of everything is necessary either. I hope I'm wrong on these secular issues, and that 55 million of us are wrong, and that Obama knows what he is doing. I hope this because last night CNN was already reporting how quickly he plans on moving. There is not much doubt in my mind that he sincerely believes the policies he's laid forth, and intends to fight hard to see it all through. With a democratic- heavy Senate he doesn't have much in his way. I'm disappointed, but I'm trying not to feel devastated. I am placing my hope in God. I am praying for His will. I am praying for Obama. I am praying for our country. And I'm continuing to fight for what I believe in. God, please bless the USA.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Everything you said... YES! God is in control even with Obama as president. There's a plan. We'll be okay. It's just the next four years (please only 4!) may be a little rough.
I want to give another big old yes. People are speaking today of a feeling of peace, weeping at the victory, and other similar sentiments. I keep finding myself wondering if they are speaking of Obama or of God, with the strength of their conviction, which is scary in its own right. All the same, as Heather said, there is a plan and we'll be OK. God's still got the reins.
Amen, Liz! As I was trying to fall asleep last night feeling afraid of what the next four years will bring, I realized (more accurately, it was probably the Holy Spirit directing me) that I need to be praying FOR Obama. This entire time I have been praying for the election, but I am sure it wouldn't hurt to pray for conversion of hearts, especially his in regards to his stance on life issues. Thanks for this post, I needed to read it!
Post a Comment