Truly Blessed

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mary @ 18 Months


Mary celebrated her 1 and 1/2 birthday at the end of last month and I thought I'd give everyone an update on our little girl, since she seems to change almost daily!

Mary is definitely a full fledged toddler now. She runs almost everywhere, and Jeff and I joke that she runs like such a girl... very bouncy, with not much forward motion! Lately she has to kiss EVERYTHING... from Playdoh, board game pieces, dollies, stuffed animals, books, and oh yes, people too. She loves mimicing whatever Nathaniel is doing, including naughty things like jumping on the couch and emptying the bottom drawers of the dresser and spreading pajamas, shirts and socks all over the house. She is the best eater of the house, there's not much she will turn down. In fact I can't think of anything at the moment that she won't eat although I'm sure there are a couple things I'm forgetting. Her newest favorite food is black olives. She loves them whole, out of the can, and will put one on each finger before she eats them!

She hates feeling left out of anything, and although she doesn't like putting on her coat, hat, boots and mittens to go out, I don't have to battle with her because I've learned if Nathaniel is wearing those things then she MUST be also!!

Mary is a Mama's Girl for sure, although the other night when Jeff left to take Nathaniel somewhere she burst into tears that he was leaving without her! She also calls me "Dada" more often than "Mama" for some reason, though she never mixes up Daddy's name! Just when I was thinking she wasn't as dramatic and emotional as other little girls her age she started fake crying last week to try and get her way. It's not something I want to encourage but I'm afraid it won't go away anytime soon because both boys of the household will usually give in to whatever she wants!

She has gained a lot of words in the last few months, and is starting to string them together. She's very verbal in general, and will let out a long conversation of gibberish with a few real words added in there randomly. She especially does this when she's mad, and I joke with Jeff that she is cussing out whoever it is she is yelling at! The good news is her emotions are very short lived, if she does get upset she is easily comforted.

Mary currently has 6 stuffed animals in her bed with her every night. She's very particular about her little friends: Elmo, little Elmo, Abby, monkey, Go Go Light (her glow worm), and Bunny. She is obsessed with Elmo, and if I ask the kids if they would like to watch Sesame Street she will immediately run to the couch, climb up, and nestle herself into the corner, ready and waiting for her furry friends! Her other favorite toys include basic wooden peg puzzles, dolls, our pretend kitchen set, and her new playhouse that contains a doll crib and highchair.

In the picture above Mary is yelling "CHEESE!" very loudly at me. Most of the pictures I snap of her lately look exactly like this one. The other day an acquaintance met Mary for the first time and after 1/2 hour said: "She's got some personality, she's going to be running this household before you know it!" We think that just about sums her up well!

2 comments:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

What a sweetie. I love toddlers!

Rachel said...

I'm sorry, are you talking about Tessa? or Mary? I think they are twins! Wish we lived closer so they could conspire together!