Truly Blessed

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Not Just For Canadians Anymore

Last week I was talking to a good friend of mine who lives in Canada and she bragged that Canada has some things that the USA doesn't have. She mentioned Ketchup Chips. I'd never heard of them, and a quick Google search provided links to tons of ketchup chip fans, many of them complaining about the difficulty of finding them in the U.S.. I discovered that one ketchup chip manufacturer is Old Dutch, and I happen to know there is an Old Dutch factory just a few miles from our house. It seemed very strange that ketchup chips would not be made available to those of us living in the same state that they were made, if not the same country!

However I am happy to report, fellow Americans, that Canadians can no longer lord it over our heads that we do not have access to ketchup chip goodness. Last night while heroically shopping for groceries with both children as I stayed home with my first migraine ever, Jeff found Old Dutch ketchup chips in the snack aisle. And after I recovered late last night I tried my very first one.

Results: Ketchup chips taste like chips with powdered ketchup on them. They look just like barbecue chips, and taste almost like them. I found myself wishing they were barbecue chips. Only one thumb up.

Now we have to convince McD's to start selling Poutine here too and we're good to go!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

My rebuttle is that Old Dutch is the maker of the worst Ketchup chips ever and that had you tried Ketchup Chips by Lays you would enjoy them far more, best in Canada dear friend. Shame you had to try the bottom of the barrel...heh.

Lizzy said...

OK well, send some Lays on over the border and we'll see! :)

Kel said...

LOL! Old Dutch makes - or at least used to make - some awesome salt & vinegar chips (of which I am totally jealous, since we don't get them down this direction). I've got to agree with Melissa about their Ketchup ones though, unfortunately! Hopefully this will just open the market?

And oh gosh, if McD's started selling poutine...or even gravy fries...mmmmm.

Heather the Mama Duk said...

Fries with gravy on them? EWWWWW I like Fries with blue cheese, but for some reason that only seems common in West Virginia as far as I can tell.

And ketchup chips? Ew again. But then I detest barbecue chips and salt and vinegar chips and pretty much any other flavored potato chips. I'm actually not a huge potato chip fan in general. I do like the crab chips with Old Bay seasoning on them, though.