Truly Blessed

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Joy In My Rearview Mirror

This morning on our way home from an errand I pulled the car over a few blocks from home so Nathaniel would see a mail truck pass us. A few months ago he was on a big motorcycle kick, and I coasted a little in the slow lane so one would zoom around us and Nathaniel could catch a glimpse. Once we were crossing a busy street and he started frantically pointing and waving at a motorcyclist. There's nothing more amusing than watching a tough looking biker dude break out into a smile and wave at a two year old. While driving I routinely point out construction equipment on the side of the road, and excitedly call out, "Tanker truck ahead! Look at that flat bed rig over there!" Let me tell you, six months ago I knew none of the proper names for any vehicles bigger than my SUV, and now I feel like a truck encyclopedia. With a toddler you really do learn something new every day. Today as the boxy white and blue USPS truck sped by I wondered: Is there any greater feeling than seeing a look of pure joy on your child's face?

2 comments:

Kel said...

Absolutely not! I do the same thing, taking detours and slowing or stopping so that Eric can see something go by. His latest is school buses, so every day when I pick the boys up our 5 minute drive home becomes a 15 minute bus hunt.

Heather the Mama Duk said...

No, I don't think there is.

Fritz is on a truck kick right now. I, too, am finding the need to learn EXACTLY what type of trucks the different trucks are. And it's so cute to hear "That dump truck?" "That box truck?" "That fat-bed truck?"