Truly Blessed

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

On Politics

I have to admit that I've been too nervous to blog about politics up until now. It's a little intimidating writing about something I don't feel totally knowledgeable about. I fully admit that this election is the first that I've had the opportunity to pay close attention to what's happening. Four years ago I was in grad school, and eight years ago I was planning a wedding. Don't get me wrong, both times I made an educated decision in terms of my vote... but I just didn't have the time to get into the nitty gritty details on the different economic policies and foreign affairs. I don't feel too confident in my ability to speak very eloquently on the topic now, but I don't want to completely ignore such an important issue. It's really been on my mind and in my prayers a lot the past few months. Jeff and I have had some wonderful discussions and my stance on certain issues has been strengthened.

If you're interested in my perspective on which candidate I think we should all be voting for, read this. And then read this.

And for anyone who would like, please join with my household in praying a novena prayer for the election. A novena is a special nine day prayer for a specific intention. Praying for nine days in preparation for something is a tradition the Church holds because of the nine days the apostles spent in prayer before receiving the Holy Spirit. This prayer was written by the U.S. Catholic Bishops, and it can be started at any time, but October 27 would be the last time you can begin in order to complete it before the election is over.

St. Thomas More, patron of politicians, pray for us!

1 comment:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

A novena sounds similar to our church's fasting and praying. We don't usually fast for more than 24 hours (though I am sure some have), and pregnant or breastfeeding mom or those with health issues are encouraged not to fast (at least not from food), but to still pray very hard. I know who I'm voting for (same one you are), but I have a feeling we'll be all right either way. God is in control. I have faith for that. But I will join you in praying. That certainly can't hurt!