Since Nathaniel turned three this summer, I knew it was the first time he could really participate in any sort of sport, but up until the spring he didn't seem interested in anything other than swimming so we didn't sign him up for anything. Over the summer, however, I noticed him gaining an interest in kicking a beach ball around the yard. He would call it a soccer ball and want me to kick it back to him. I found him an actual soccer ball at one point, and he was really excited about it. I taught him how to dribble and pass the ball back and forth, but that's as far as my soccer skills extend! Then in August we received a catalog for the school and park district activities in St. Anthony and I saw they were holding a mini soccer camp for 3's and 4's to teach them various soccer skills this fall. Jeff played soccer as a kid and really loved it, so he was immediately all for the idea. This past Saturday was Nathaniel's fourth time at the camp. At the beginning of every lesson he always has some uncertainty about going onto the field with the other kids and the coaches, but very quickly he warms up and starts enjoying himself. He likes the games they play, including "red light green light", passing with a partner, playing "pirate" and trying to steal the ball away from the other kids, and also having a scrimmage game. He loves getting to wear a "penny" and playing on a team. Jeff and I enjoy watching him learn new skills and I enjoy being a soccer mom without having to drive a mini van quite yet! :)
Stretching and warming up:

Getting ready to dribble a ball across the field:

The coach instructing Nathaniel:

The coaches explaining how the scrimmage game would work:

Playing in the scrimmage game!



Posing at home with our soccer ball. Don't you love his shirt? The "U of I" (University of Illinois is my alma mater) jumped out at me at Target!
2 comments:
Go Nathaniel! It looks like lots of fun!
I'll have to look for that shirt at Target, too. Love it.
How fun! Little kids playing soccer is always so cute.
Post a Comment